The theme for the spring/summer releases was on skin protection and repair for adult skin through sun protection and treatment of adult acne - both are big concerns on my radar so I was thrilled to learn more about Avene's approach.
|Avene High Protection suncare line|
First up, is Avene's High Protection sun care line, which boasts SPF 50, the highest SPF rating allowed on the market, and certifications by both the Canadian Dermatology Association and the Skin Cancer International Foundation.
The High Protection products contain a unique blend of mineral sunscreen, and Tinosorb M and Tinosorb S chemical sunscreens that boost their products' wear time, efficacy and water resistance. As well, each product contains pre-tocopheryl which helps fight signs of aging, and Avene thermal spring water, to help soothe and protect against inflammation. Each product is formulated for very sensitive skin and can be used by both men and women, as well as children.
Products I received:
- High Protection spray, which contains SPF 50, is paraben-free and can be used on both face and body. This spray is perfect for reaching those difficult spots like behind the shoulders and for quick touch-ups on the go. I'm curious whether one could use this as well over makeup for touch-ups during the day, so I'll have to test that out later! It is available as a 200 ml spray for $32.50
- High Protection lotion, which also contains SPF 50 and is more of a typical sunscreen. It is available as a 100 ml tube for $29
- Very High Protection mineral lotion, which contains SPF 50 and contains 100% mineral sunscreen. It is available as a 100 ml tube for $30. There's also a 50 ml formula just for the face that retails for $28. Since this one is purely made of physical sunblockers, it may leave a whitish cast to skin, but if you're nervous about the longterm effects of chemical sunblocks, or have very sensitive skin, then this is the one for you.
Besides the above, Avene also showed off the Very High Protection tinted compact, which is a tinted mineral sunscreen that offers coverage and protection in one. This one is available for $34 and comes in two shades.
All of the High Protection and Very High Protection products will be available in stores in May 2015.
|Avene TriAcneal Expert with Avene Thermal Spring Water spray|
The second half of the Avene presentation focused on the TriAcneal Expert emulsion, which is a treatment focused on fighting blemishes, scarring and signs of aging. Similar to Dermalogica, Avene has branched out into adult acne care with a line of lotions and treatments to meet the specific demands of adult blemishes. According to Avene's research, nearly 40% of adult women are affected with adult acne. Occurring primarily on the lower half of the face, adult acne takes the form of micro cysts and inflammation and often ends in hyperpigmentation. The primary causes include hormones, stress, lack of sleep and poor diet. Reading this info was quite shocking to me as it pretty much summed up exactly what I've been suffering as of late!
To fight adult acne, Avene has introduced three new ingredients into their arsenal:
- Diolenyl - is a molecule that basically acts as bait to acne bacteria. When acne bacteria attack it, Diolenlyl releases octane-diol, an antibacterial ingredient that slows bacterial growth, and alpha linolenic acid to reduce inflammation.
- X-pressin - an ingredient derived from papaya extract, this enzyme unclogs pores and gently exfoliates. Avene touts it as a more effective and less irritating variation of glycolic acid.
- Retinaldehyde - is a precursor of retinoic acid that stimulates cell renewal, unclogs pores, stimulates collagen and reduces melanin production, which is the main cause of scars.
The TriAcneal Expert emulsion sounds really amazing and like most Avene lotions, it comes packaged in a super hygienic airless pump format, which ensures minimal contamination for maximum longevity. I can't wait to see it work its magic on my blemish scars!
The TriAcneal Expert emulsion will be available in stores in May 2015 as a 30 ml bottle retailing at $31.50.
Which of these products are you most excited about?